Penrith Quakers History

  • Description

    "....Although many Friends were living in the area around Penrith, meetings were held in private houses at Clifton. It was not until 1699 that Friends took steps to acquire their own premises by the purchase of the present building on the eastern boundary of Penrith for the price of £80, which sum was paid off five years later. This property was then a farmhouse called Layne House and Meeting House Lane was then called Sandy Lane. The building was used more or less as it stood, continuing as a dwelling with elderly tenants, as well as serving as a Meeting House. Over the years there have been three major changes by which the simple rectangular farmhouse known to early Quakers, with a stable at the southern end, has been transformed into the Meeting House as we know it today....."
  • Owner

    Cumberland Quakers
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 310 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.