CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN - Hayton - List Entry

  • Description

    "Church. On medieval site, present church dated 1780 with Latin inscription over entrance; side chapel 1793 for Graham family, chancel rebuilt 1842 (dated on interior inscription stone), restoration 1888. Red sandstone coursed rubble on chamfered plinth has ashlar quoins with V-shaped joints and shaped cornice; graduated slate roof with coped gables and kneelers. Small square 3-storey west tower/porch; 5-bay nave with north 3-bay side chapel, having separate stepped entrance; 2-bay chancel has north vestry. Tower has plank door with alternate block surround...Stained glass by Charles Evan of London 1888 and W.H.A. Ward, London 1907. Porch has internal door with radial fanlight. Side chapel has white marble wall plaques to the Grahams of Edmond Castle...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1335622
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 157 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES