A short history of schooling in Bowburn & Tursdale

  • Description

    "....The first children in Bowburn Colliery village went to school at Tursdale. Then, from early in 1909, 75 children enrolled in Standard 1 and Infants at the Primitive Methodist chapel, which had opened in October 1908 and was loaned to the Education Authority. The staff consisted of A. Pinkney, Head Teacher, and uncertificated assistant teachers E. Clegg and L. Trotter. 1.165 acres of land at the top of Wylam Street were sold by Bell Bros. to Durham County Council in February 1908 and Bowburn Schools were duly built, at a cost of about £5,000...."
  • Owner

    Bowburn Local History Society
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.bowburnhistory.co.uk/schools-and-education
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 141 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES