Durant Road & Ellison Place

  • Description

    "Ellison Place was named after Cuthbert Ellison, Sheriff of Newcastle in 1544 and Mayor in 1549 and 1554. No. 1 Ellison Place was used as accommodation of visiting judges in 1866 and became the City's second Mansion House in 1886. No. 6 Ellison Place was the home of William Boutland Wilkinson (1819 - 1892) who was the inventor of reinforced-concrete building (using wire ropes to bind the concrete). A reinforced-concrete cottage was in this location until the 1950s. On the right, over the car park, is MEA House, built in 1974 using similar technology [[1681916]]" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1763798
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 3 years ago
    Viewed: 305 times
    Picture Taken: 2010-01-24
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES