Eldon War Memorial

  • Description

    "The Eldon war memorial was erected as a memorial to the 133 men of the Eldon District (Eldon, Old Eldon, and Eldon Lane) who fell during the First World War. The memorial was paid for by subscription and designed by architects Kellett and Clayton, of Bishop Auckland. It was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday 24 September 1921 at a ceremony, which was attended by large crowds and a great many miners from the Eldon Lodge of the Durham Miner’s Association.....The memorial was re-dedicated in 1956, when the four panels on the base received additional inscriptions, commemorating the 37 men killed during the Second World War. The memorial was restored in 2004...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1452756
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 268 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES