MONUMENT TO H.W.F.BOLCKOW - Middlesbrough - List Entry

  • Description

    "Monument to H.W.F. Bolckow, dated 1881 by D.W. Stevenson, sculptor, and Sir John Steell, founder, (Edinburgh). Red granite pedestal; signed bronze figure. Standing, frock-coated male figure, holding Charter of Incorporation of Middlesbrough, on pedestal and 2 chamfered steps. North-west face of die and plinth inscribed: "H.W.F. BOLCKOW", and "ERECTED 1881". Bronze tablet, on south-east face of die has raised lettering : "THIS STATUE WAS UNVEILED BY LORD FREDERICK CAVENDISH, ON THE 6TH OCTOBER, 1881". Originally erected outside Middlesbrough Royal Exchange, in Marton Road; moved to Albert Park 1925; moved here 1986, on site of Royal Exchange....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1139844
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 109 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES