THE REDFERN PUBLIC HOUSE - Carlisle - List Entry

  • Description

    "Public house. 1939-40 by Redfern & Seddon for the Carlisle and District State Management Scheme. MATERIALS: Red brick ground floor and mostly red tile-hung on first floor. Red tile roofs. Red brick front wall and mid-roof stacks. PLAN: Large public bar on left. To right 2 further bars radiating from a former circular hall......Within the verandah a serving hatch for service to the bowling green area. The sixteenth and last public house built before the Second World War under the Carlisle and District State Management Scheme and, with its carefully detailed architecture and provision for bowling, expressing the ideals of civilised public house culture that the Scheme sought to impart. It was the last public house in which Harry Redfern, the Scheme's architect, was involved and it was therefore named after him...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1380323
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 20 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES