South Dissington

  • Description

    "This is the site of the deserted medieval village of South Dissington, which was first recorded in 1085, when it was given to Tynemouth Priory. In the 16th century it was noted that many of the buildings were in `decay'. By the 18th century only the hall stood on the village site. A series of earthwork remains can be seen here today, ending in a bank running along the south side of the Medburn...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N10978
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 123 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES