Description"The nearer dates from around 174. Inactive. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) stone tower, unpainted, with a large window near the top. This structure, often called the "Old Lighthouse," was used primarily as a watchtower. The tower was undoubtedly a daybeacon, and Findlay's 1879 list mentions a red light displayed "on Old Quay." Located on the 17th century Old New Quay, which now encloses the Inner Harbour of Whitehaven. Accessible by walking the quay. Site open, tower status unknown" Photo by Steve Fareham, 2014.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4038154
Resource type: Image
Added by: Pat Thomson
Last modified: 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Viewed: 18 times
Picture Taken: 2014-06-22