Acklington deer park

  • Description

    "Acklington Park was established by license granted to Richard de Horsley. In 1512 it belonged to the Percy family and contained 141 fallow deer. It was formed within a loop of the river Coquet and so was easily enclosed by a fence on one side. The park was well timbered with oak and ash at the end of the 16th century but all the deer had been destroyed by 1616. The medieval boundaries have survived in the form of modern roads and footpaths...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N27661
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 157 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES