TITLINGTON TOWER

  • Description

    "....The pele tower was either completely demolished or incorporated into a new house in 1745. In 1824, the 1745 building was demolished and replaced....In 1745 Roger Pearson either cleared away or altered the pele and built a house whose surviving trace is the date 1745 cut at the W corner of the (present) building....Some sources suggest the tower was built on the summit of the supposed motte of Titlington castle and that the motte was truncated when the tower was demolished. However the evidence for this is slight...."
  • Owner

    Gatehouse Gazetter
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English%20sites/4417.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 303 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES