Bedlington Old School

  • Description

    "One of the earliest links in the history of education in this district was severed by the closing of Bedlington Colliery Council School in January 1941. The original building which was opened in 1856 as a Church of England School consisted of only two rooms.....In 1910 the scholars in the two departments totaled more than 600, and owing to it’s overcrowded condition Northumberland Education Committee found it necessary to provide a new Council School at Bedlington Station and to divide the village into two educational districts. About 1928, it was handed over to the County Education Committee as a Council School....."
  • Owner

    Sixtownships & Coal Mining Memories UK
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.sixtownships.org.uk/bedlington-old-school.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 months ago
    Viewed: 36 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES