History of Carlisle bridge spans 650 years

  • Description

    10th March 2017. "The 1940 Carlisle Directory made no mention of the war but it was up to date by stating in the introduction “Harraby Bridge, at the main entrance to the city from the south, is now in process of widening and reconstruction”. Extra arches were added to the east side of the bridge to increase the width and a plaque on the parapet shows the work completed in February 1941. There had been a bridge there since medieval times, a bequest being made for its upkeep in July 1363 “to the bridge over the Petteril between Carlisle and Harraby”...."
  • Owner

    News and Star
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/features/16699793.history-of-carlisle-bridge-spans-650-years/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Edmund Anon
    Last modified: 1 month, 3 weeks ago
    Viewed: 13 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES