Alston Moor

  • Description

    "Ancient parish in Leath ward, Cumberland. Includes market town of Alston, chapelry of Garrigill and mining village of Nenthead.....pastoral farming and lead mining and smelting from medieval period until 20th century. Lead mines, famous by 17th century, expanded across 18th century, particularly after London Lead Co. leased mineral rights between 1750 and 1765. Population, estimated at 555 in 1688, had reached 4,746 by 1801 and rose to peak of 6,858 in 1831. Town of Alston grew up haphazardly around parish church...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/alston-moor
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Edmund Anon
    Last modified: 4 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 395 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES