Ouston

  • Description

    "The name Ouston most likely originates from the Middle English "Ulfkell's Farmstead", suggesting that the village began as a single farm sometime in the 10th or 11th centuries. Ulfkell is in origin a Danish name which was commonly used in England at this time. The place name is first recorded as "Ulkestan" in documents of 1328 and "Ulleston" in Bishop Hadfield's survey of 1382. The modern growth and development of the village is largely due to the neighbouring Low Urpeth Colliery, which was worked from the early 19th century....."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=D2163
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 weeks, 5 days ago
    Viewed: 7 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES