Sheraton medieval settlement and open field system

  • Description

    "....Sheraton lies on the Magnesian limestone plateau of East Durham, to the south of a small but steep knoll. The plan of the medieval settlement of Sheraton is of a type familiar to this part of Durham in which parallel lines of tofts or houses with crofts or garden areas to the rear face on to a village green. Beyond the tofts and crofts would lie the open fields where crops were grown. The tofts and crofts of Sheraton survive as grass-grown banks and ditches to the south of The Green.....The village of Sheraton was once known as Shurveton. Prior to the late 12th century, a grant of land within Shroveton to Sherburn Hospital was confirmed by Bishop Pudsey. By the Boldon Book, written in the late 12th century, the vill was divided into two moieties, one held by John and the other by Thomas. During the bishopric of Bishop Hatfield, 1345-81, the moieties of Sheraton were held by the Lord de Neville and John de Aske...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1019911
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 262 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES