Fotherley deserted medieval village (Healey)

  • Description

    "Fotherley is mentioned in a number of old documents which give information about the number of people who once lived here. In 1268 the vill was held by two tenants and in 1296 there were eight taxpayers. Although the population probably grew through the medieval period it had shrunk again by the 17th century and today there are only two farms here. Archaeologists are not exactly sure where the medieval village stood, but a hint is given by some earthworks north-west of High Fotherley...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N9800
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 105 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES