MEMORIAL CROSS TO JOHN RUSKIN APPROXIMATELY 23 METRES EAST OF ST ANDREW'S CHURCH - Coniston - List Entry

  • Description

    "Memorial in form of Anglo-celtic cross. 1901. By W.G. Collingwood, an expert in ancient crosses. Slightly tapering rectangular shaft, cross head with swept arms. Interlace scrollwork and symbolic panels. Memorial reads: "JOHN RUSKIN/ 1819:1900". East face has, from bottom to top: youth playing lyre; inscription with interlace above and below; youth sketching in Swiss Alps (representing "Modern Painters"); St Mark's Lion (Stones of Venice); 7 branched candlestick (Seven Lamps of Architecture). Cross head has interlace and hemisphere. South face has scrollwork of dogrose with squirrel, kingfisher and wren. West face has scene from parable of vineyard....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1335749
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 105 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES