Local History: Ferryhill

  • Description

    "The village of Ferryhill lies seven miles to the south of Durham on the Old Great North Road (A167). It was a typical Durham mining village, and rows of miner's houses cover the hilltop. The steep hill leads to a long narrow market place with a Victorian town hall. The Town Hall which was built in 1867 on the site of old cottages provided for the poor and has been used over the years as a library and reading room but today houses the offices of the Town Council The oldest remains from the area all date to the Bronze Age, a period when there was a great period of expansion in early farming. A rough copper axe was found at Red Hall Farm....."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://keystothepast.info/search-records/results-of-search/results-of-search-2/site-details/?PRN=D6793
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 597 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.