Quarrington Township, 1848
QUARRINGTON, a township, in the parish of Kelloe, S. division of Easington ward, union, and N. division of the county of Durham, 4½ miles (S.E.) from Durham; containing 732 inhabitants. In 1644 the Scottish army, under the Earl of Leven, encamped here for several days during the month of April, and in the spring of the year 1747 a detachment from the Duke of Cumberland's forces lay for some weeks on Quarrington Hill. The place was anciently the chief town of a district called Queringdonshire, and derives its name from some quarries in the township, which have been constantly wrought. It is divided from the manor of Tursdale by a small stream called Bow burn; and the Durham branch of the Clarence railway terminates near Crow Trees, in the township, after a course of more than ten miles from Stillington Moor House. In the neighbourhood are some collieries, the produce of which is shipped on the Tees and at Hartlepool. Of the tithe rent-charges, £21. 10. are payable to the vicar, £62. 2. to an impropriator, and £87. 15. to Christ's Hospital, Sherburn
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.