Preston-on-Tees is a settlement located at the northern edge of Eaglescliffe, in the borough of Stockton-on-Tees. Historically it was a township in the ancient Parish of Stockton; today it forms Preston-on-Tees Civil Parish.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Preston-on-Tees is a settlement and civil parish on the northern edge of Eaglescliffe, in the borough of Stockton-on-Tees and ceremonial county of County Durham, England. The civil parish population at the 2011 census was 1,689. It is home to Preston Park and Preston Hall.
The parish originated as a township of the parish of Stockton-on-Tees and was recognised as a civil parish itself in 1866. It was included in the Stockton poor law union and then the Stockton rural sanitary district. In 1894 this became the Stockton Rural District. In 1968 part of it became part of the county borough of Teesside. It later became part of the non-metropolitan district of Stockton-on-Tees in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972.
According to the 2001 census it had a population of 1,748. It has a diverse number of property types ranging from terraced rented houses to large detached private dwellings.
Preston-on-Tees has one school, Eaglescliffe Junction School was built in 1907, and later became known as Preston Primary School. The parish is in the catchment for Egglescliffe Secondary School.
There is a Methodist church on Witham Avenue. The church is named Eaglescliffe Trinity Methodist Church and was opened in 1902. There is also a Church of England parish church dedicated to All Saints, which was founded in the early 1900s as a church plant into Preston-on-Tees from the Church of St Thomas, Stockton.