Park Quarter, Stanhope, 1848
PARK-QUARTER, a township, in the parish of Stanhope, union of Weardale, N.W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (W.) from Stanhope; containing 851 inhabitants. It includes the village of Westgate, and part of the hamlets of Eastgate and Rookhope; and comprises by computation 12,190 acres. The township extends from one mile east of St. John's Chapel to three miles west of Stanhope, and is watered by the Wear.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.