Old Fire Station, Abbey Road
Central Fire Station on Abbey Road in Barrow-in-Furness is dated 1911 and was built by Burmantofts of Leeds, and cost £6,000. The station opened on the 12th December 1912. It is a well preserved example of the first generation of fire station built specifically for motorised appliances and is a Grade II listed building on the National Heritage List for England. In 1996, Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service moved to a new-build station on Phoenix Road. The old Central Fire Station building was converted for commercial use, and hosts the 'Bed Brigade' furniture shop (units 3 & 4).