Nunnykirk, Township, 1848
NUNNYKIRK, a township, in the parish of Nether Witton, union of Rothbury, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 10 miles (W.N.W.) from Morpeth; containing 20 inhabitants. It belonged to the abbots of Newminster, who built a chapel, tower, and other offices here, all traces of which are gone, and which are no where described. The estate was granted in 1610, by the crown, to Sir Ralph Grey, from whose descendants it went to the Wards; it has passed from them to the family of Orde, and is now the property of Charles W. Orde, Esq., having descended to him in 1842 from his uncle William, who rebuilt the mansion in a classic style, and furnished it with great taste and elegance. The house stands at the bottom of a warm valley, with the little river Font a few yards from its site, and embosomed in steep wooded hills. The celebrated racing-stud at this place, which included the farfamed Tomboy and Beeswing, is now dispersed.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.