North Sunderland Township, 1848
SUNDERLAND, NORTH, a township, in the parish, and N. division of the ward, of Bambrough, union of Belford, N. division of Northumberland, 8½ miles (E. by S.) from Belford; containing 1,103 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1,040 acres of rich land, mostly arable. It has the sea on the east, and possesses a small port, subject to Berwick, whence corn, fish, and lime are exported, considerable quantities of the last article being burned at kilns in the neighbourhood: coal is also wrought. Here is a large establishment for curing herrings. A church in the purest Norman style, with a parsonage-house, was built in 1833, at a cost of £3,500, and endowed by the Trustees of Lord Crewe's charities, who are patrons; net income of the incumbent, £220. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.