North Gosforth Civil Parish
Parish boundaries may have changed - for the latest map see the Parish Council or Newcastle City Council.
About the Parish
North Gosforth (suburb)
5,639 (2011 Census)
3,524 (2001 Census)
|Parish Council:||North Gosforth Parish Council|
|Unitary Authority:||Newcastle City Council|
|Ceremonial County:||Tyne and Wear|
Townships became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).
Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.
|Poor Law Union:||
Castle Ward Poor Law Union, formed in 1836.
Castle Union Workhouse was located at Ponteland, built in 1848 to house 120 inmates, and later extended. Prior to 1848 the Union used the old workhouse at Heddon-on-the-Wall.
Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls.
The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as ‘Public Assistance Institutions’ until the National Assistance Act 1948.
Northumberland, until 1974, then:
Tyne & Wear, which was created on the 1st of April 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972.
Tyne and Wear County Council (1974 - 1986), based at Sandyford House.
The council was abolished in 1986 along with the other metropolitan county councils in England by the Local Government Act 1985. However, it remains a ceremonilal county.
Newcastle City (metropolitan borough)
Since 1986 Newcastle City Council has functioned as a unitary authority (responsible for both district and county-level functions).