Newtown, Northumberland (near Rothbury)
NEWTOWN, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 1½ mile (W.S.W.) from Rothbury; containing 57 inhabitants. It is situated on the northern declivity of a ridge of rocks; the streams of the Cowett wells unite here, and, dashing down the steep and passing Tosson mill, are lost in the Coquet, which flows on the north, a short distance from the hamlet. The land is good turnip soil. On the east of the township is the Carterside estate, partly the property of the Duke of Northumberland.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.