Newstead Township, Northumberland, 1848
NEWSTEAD, a township, in the parish of Bambrugh, 1848, union of Belford, N. division of Bambrough ward and of Northumberland, 5¼ miles (S.E. by S.) from Belford; containing 113 inhabitants. It comprises the farms of Birchwood-hall, Rosebrough, Rayhaugh, and Newstead. The hamlet lies a little to the east of the road from Belford to Alnwick.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.