Topics > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Newbiggin Civil Parish, Cumbria > Newbiggin Parish, Westmorland, 1848
Newbiggin Parish, Westmorland, 1848
NEWBIGGIN (St. Edmund), a parish, in East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 7¼ miles (N.W. by N.) from Appleby; containing 140 inhabitants. It comprises 1,184 acres, of which 500 are common or waste land. Newbiggin Hall is a fine old castellated mansion, erected in the year 1533, upon the site of the previous manor-house. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 14. 2.; net income, £113; patron, W. Crackenthorpe, Esq. The church is an ancient building, repewed in 1804. Some rocks near the Hall are represented to have formerly borne various Roman inscriptions.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.