Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Mungrisdale Civil Parish > Mungrisdale, 1848

Mungrisdale, 1848


MUNGRISDALE, a chapelry, in the parish of Greystock, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 8½ miles (N.E. by E.) from Keswick; containing 222 inhabitants. There are quarries of blue slate and flagstone within the chapelry. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £57; patron, the Rector of Greystock. The chapel was rebuilt in 1754. John Slee, a distinguished mathematician, who died in 1828, was born here.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Mungrisdale Civil Parish Greystoke Parish, 1848
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Mungrisdale Chapelry
- "Chapelry and township in Greystoke parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. Modern CP of Mungrisdale formed 1934 by amalgamation of Mungrisdale, Bowscale, Berrier and Murrah, and Hutton Roof CPs....Economy: predominantly hill ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES