Milestone west of Cockermouth
This old milestone is located on Low Road, to the west of Friz Park on the outskirts of Cockermouth. The road was previously the main road west, before the A66 bypass around Cockermouth was built. The milestone was erected by the Cockermouth & Workington turnpike trust in the 19th century. The inscription on the milestone is unusual in that it gives the distance to a specific building - the Court House (built 1829). The old milestone is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England. New housing has been built in the immediate vicinity and the milestone now has pride of place besides the footpath by Laureates Lane (see Street View).