Topics > Tees Valley > Civil Parishes in Tees Valley > Saltburn, Marske and New Marske Civil Parish > Marske in Cleveland Parish, 1848

Marske in Cleveland Parish, 1848


MARSK in Cleveland (St. Germain), a parish, in the union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York; containing, with part of the town of Redcar, 1,177 inhabitants, of whom 503 are in the township of Marsk, 5 miles (N.N.E.) from Guisborough. The manor was one of the lordships granted by the Conqueror to Robert de Brus, lord of Skelton, whose family held it for some time; it was afterwards possessed by the Fauconbergs, since which the lands have belonged to various families, including those of Neville, Lowther, and Dundas. The parish is divided by the Saltburn beck from the parish of Skelton, and comprises about 3500 acres: the soil of a portion is of a fine sandy kind; the other parts are inclined to a strong fertile clay, suitable to the growth of wheat. The village is of considerable extent, and contains some neat houses; near its centre is Marsk Hall, built by Sir William Pennyman, Bart., in the style that prevailed in the time of Charles I. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 11. 10½., and in the patronage of the Earl of Zetland, with a net income of £91; appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The church, founded before the Norman Conquest, and rebuilt in 1821, stands near the edge of the cliff on the sea-shore, its spire serving as an excellent landmark. At Redcar is a separate incumbency. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Saltburn, Marske and New Marske Civil Parish Parts of Yorkshire now in County Durham and Tees Valley Redcar, 1848 Marske-by-the-Sea
Marske-by-the-Sea
  Co-Curate Page
Marske-by-the-Sea
- Overview About Map Street View   Marske-by-the-Sea is a village in the unitary authority of Redcar and Cleveland and the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England. It is located on ...
Redcar, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Redcar, 1848
- REDCAR, a chapelry, partly in the parish of Upleatham, but chiefly in that of Marsk, union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 7 ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES