Lowside Township, Gateshead, 1848
LOWSIDE, or Lowhand, a township, in the parish of Whickham, union of Gateshead, W. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 2 miles (W.S.W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 1,192 inhabitants. The ancient vill and manor of Farnacres, in this township, gave name to a resident family; and in Bishop Hatfield's time was held by Robert Umfraville, who in 1428 obtained licence to found a chantry in a chapel here, to which the hospital of Frereside was annexed in 1439: after the Dissolution, Farnacres was added, by purchase, to the Ravensworth estate. The village of Dunston is also situated in the township.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.