LEMINGTON, a village, chiefly in the township of Sugley, but partly in that of Newburn-Hall, parish of Newburn, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (W.) from Newcastle. It is a populous place, situated on the north bank of the Tyne river, and contains the extensive works of the Tyne Iron Company for the manufacture of pig and bar iron, castings of all kinds, etc.; also some large crown-glass works; and three staiths where coal from the Wylam and Walbottle collieries is put into keels, to be shipped at Newcastle and Shields. Vessels of 40 or 50 tons burthen can lie alongside. Lemington House stands at the foot of a fine eminence on the west side of the village.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.