Langleydale with Shotton Township, 1848
SHOTTON, with Langley-Dale, a township, in the parish of Staindrop, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 5½ miles (N.E. by E.) from Barnard-Castle; containing 185 inhabitants. Shotton was one of the places given by Canute to the church of Durham, and, with Woodland and Langley, was parcel of the estate of the earls of Westmoreland. It is now the property of the Duke of Cleveland, and is included in Raby Park, his grace's seat.—See Langley-Dale.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.