Knaresdale Parish, 1848
KNARESDALE, a parish, in the union of Haltwhistle, W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (N.W. by N.) from Alston-Moor; containing 491 inhabitants. The parish derives its name from the Knar, a rough mountain torrent which intersects the western portion of it from west to east; it is bounded on the west by the county of Cumberland, and comprises by computation 7,144 acres, of which 2,144 are good arable, pasture, and meadow land, and the remainder open common. The common is in general a bleak and sterile moorland, but is supposed to abound in mineral wealth; and it has been said that the Romans had formerly a lead-mine in Knaresdale. The village is situated on the South Tyne, and on the road from Brampton to Alston; but until the road was made to the colliery at Hartley-Burn, the place was difficult of access, and the manners and mode of living of the people were exceedingly rude. Slaggyford, also on the South Tyne, according to tradition, was once a markettown, and had a fair; it is still the largest village in the parish. Williamston, which occupies a situation equally beautiful, is on the opposite side of the river; and the hamlet of Eals, seated in a sheltered spot on its right bank, is remarkable for its old plum-trees and some fine ash-trees, and has a bridge of two arches. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 18. 9., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £117, and the glebe comprises 22 acres, with a rectory-house surrounded by tasteful gardens. The church is on a dry knoll; the old edifice having become greatly out of repair, the present building was erected in 1833, at a cost of £300: the churchyard embraces a wide view. There are two places of worship for Wesleyans. On the side of a fell is a mineral spring, called Snope's Well, formerly in high repute. The Rt. Hon. Thomas Wallace was raised to the peerage by the title of Baron Wallace of Knaresdale, in 1828: his lordship died in 1844.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.