Low Quarter, Kirkby Ireleth Parish, 1848
LOW-QUARTER, a district, in the parish of Kirkby-Ireleth, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles (W.) from Ulverston; containing 644 inhabitants. This is one of two divisions of the township of Kirkby-Ireleth, the other being named the Northern or Middle Quarter. The Low Quarter is in the south, and contains the church, the village or hamlet of Kirkby-Ireleth, and the houses called Beckside. The tithes for this township and certain other portions of the parish have been commuted for £74 payable to the Dean and Chapter of York, and £22 payable to the vicar; the appropriate glebe consists of 42 acres, and the vicarial of four acres.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.