KILLINGWORTH, a township, in the parish of Long Benton, union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5½ miles (N.E. by N.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; comprising 1,656a. 2½p., and containing 1,787 inhabitants. It is situated on a commanding eminence, in the midst of a fertile and pleasing tract of country. An extensive colliery belonging to Lord Ravensworth and partners is in full operation, employing about 600 men and boys: the coal-field is much dislocated, and varies considerably as to thickness. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £280, payable to Balliol College, Oxford, and the vicarial for £19. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists, Methodists of the New Connexion, and Wesleyans; also a school in which divine service is performed on Sunday afternoon.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.