INGLETON, a township, in the parish of Staindrop, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 8¼ miles (N.W. by W.) from Darlington; containing 334 inhabitants. The family of Bowes held some lands here under the Nevills, who possessed the greater part of the township as a member of Raby. It comprises about 800 acres of land. The village, which is large, is situated on the road from Darlington to Staindrop, from which place it is distant three miles. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £170. The first stone of a district chapel was laid by the Duke of Cleveland in 1844: the chapel is dedicated to St. John, and is in the gift of the Incumbent of the parish. A schoolroom, rebuilt in 1816, is used on Sunday as a place of worship by Primitive Methodists.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.