Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Heddon-on-the-Wall Civil Parish > Heddon-on-the-Wall Parish, 1848 > Houghton with Closehouse Township, 1848
Houghton with Closehouse Township, 1848
HOUGHTON, with Closehouse, a township, in the parish of Heddon-on-the-Wall, union of Castle ward, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7½ miles (W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 127 inhabitants. This township, which includes the hamlet of Street-Houses, comprises 666 acres: the village is half a mile to the west of Heddon-on-the-Wall. The mansion of Closehouse is a handsome structure, delightfully situated on a fine lawn.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.