HOUGHTON, a township, in the parish of Stanwix, union of Carlisle, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Carlisle; containing 372 inhabitants. The patronage of St. John's new church, here, built and endowed by subscription, and to which a district is assigned, has been vested in trustees by Her Majesty's Commissioners.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Houghton is a commuter village to the north of Carlisle within the City of Carlisle district of Cumbria, England. It has a sub post office/grocers shop; Restaurant ; hairdressers; a village hall, a school for Key Stage 1 & 2 pupils and a St. John's church. It is the largest settlement in the civil parish of Stanwix Rural. Hadrian's Wall runs past the village to the south along past Whiteclosegate. In 2018 it had an estimated population of 1168. In the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 the township had a population of 369.
A large garden centre has opened in the grounds of Houghton Hall, a grade II listed structure.