Topics > Tyne and Wear > Gateshead > Winlaton > Winlaton Parish, 1848

Winlaton Parish, 1848


WINLATON (St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Gateshead, E. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 5 miles (W.S.W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 5,326 inhabitants. This parish was formed out of Ryton in 1833. It comprises the townships of Winlaton and Chopwell, and consists of about 9,000 acres, of which the chief part is arable, with 2,000 acres of woodland; the soil is a strong clay, producing excellent crops of wheat. Considerable seams of coal are found in both townships: the principal are situated to the east, at a depth of from 20 to 50 fathoms, the strata rising towards the west, where they approach the surface. The proprietors of the mines in Winlaton township are its lords; and the lessees are, the Marquess of Bute, George Heppel Ramsay, Esq., and J. Cowen, Esq.: the mines in Chopwell belong to the marquess, who works his own coal, and to the crown, whose lands here are to the extent of 1,000 acres. The coal throughout the parish is thought to be of the best kind for making coke, and its freeness from sulphur renders it valuable for smelting iron, and for smiths' use. About 100,000 tons are annually raised by the marquess and Mr. Ramsay, who have extensive cokeovens at Derwent-Haugh. There are excellent freestone quarries, and also some superior clay, great quantities of which are made into fire-bricks for furnaces and gas and other works, for which purpose Mr. Ramsay and Mr. Cowen have large premises.

The place has been long famous for its manufacture of iron and steel goods of every description, from an anchor of the largest size to the minutest article. About the year 1690, Sir Ambrose Crowley removed hither from Sunderland, and established some iron-works, to which the village, occupying an elevated site between the rivers Tyne and Derwent, owes its rise: he afterwards extended them to Swalwell and Winlaton-Mill. In the village are now several iron-factories, where anchors, chaincables, pumps, and cylinders for steam-engines, are made, as also edge-tools, nails, etc.; they employ, when in full operation, about 1,000 men and boys. On the bank of the Tyne are works for refining lead, and at Blaydon is a wharf for embarking the produce. The Newcastle and Carlisle railway passes through the parish, and divides at Blaydon, one branch crossing the Tyne to Newcastle, and the other proceeding to Gateshead. There is also a magnificent suspension-bridge across the Tyne, built in 1829-30, by subscription, and connecting the counties of Durham and Northumberland.

A chapel was built in 1705, on the site of an ancient one said to have been demolished in 1569; but having been suffered to go to ruin, a spacious schoolroom was erected on the spot in 1816, in which divine service was occasionally performed by the rector of Ryton, until the church was built. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham: the tithes have been commuted for £347, and the glebe consists of 22 acres, with a good house. The church, consecrated September 9th, 1828, is in the early English style, with a tower and pinnacles, and contains 800 sittings, of which 400 are free; it was erected at an expense of £2300, the Church Commissioners contributing one-half, the Incorporated Society £400, and the rest being raised by subscription. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Presbyterians, Primitive Methodists, and Methodists of the New Connexion; and four parochial schools, in connexion with the National Society. Near Axwell Park, on the bank of the Derwent, the seat of Sir T. J. Clavering, Bart., is a sulphureous spring, much resorted to.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Winlaton Blaydon Burn (hamlet), 1848 County Durham, 1848 - Parishes and Townships Chopwell Blaydon, 1848
from https://openlibrary.org/boo...
A topographical dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, 7th Ed., 1848
- A topographical dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships, and the islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with historical and statistical ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Chopwell
  Co-Curate Page
Chopwell
- Overview About Chopwell Map Street View CHOPWELL, a township, in the parish of Ryton, union of Gateshead, W. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 11½ ...
Blaydon Burn (hamlet), 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Blaydon Burn (hamlet), 1848
- BLAYDON-BURN, a hamlet, in the parish of Winlaton, union of Gateshead, W. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 6 miles (W.S.W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne. It is ...
Blaydon, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Blaydon, 1848
- BLAYDON, a village, in the parish of Winlaton, union of Gateshead, E. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 4 miles (W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 1,114 ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES