Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > St Cuthbert Without Civil Parish > High Blackwell Township, 1848
High Blackwell Township, 1848
BLACKWELL, or BLACKHALL, HIGH, a township, in the parish of St. Cuthbert, Carlisle, union of Carlisle, Cumberland ward, E. division of Cumberland, 2½ miles (S.) from Carlisle; containing 315 inhabitants. The manor was given by Margaret de Wigton, heiress of Sir John de Wigton, to Sir Robert Parvinge, serjeant-at-law, and afterwards lord high chancellor, in the reign of Edward III., for successfully conducting her cause against Sir Robert de Bridekirk, who had impugned her title to the barony of Wigton.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.