Hebburn Colliery (1792 - 1932)


Hebburn Colliery was established in 1792, though there had been smaller scale coal mining in the Hebburn area for at least 200 years. From the 1890s the colliery was owned by Wallsend & Hebburn Coal Co. Ltd. At it's height in 1914 there were 1,864 people employed at Hebburn Colliery (1,549 working below ground and  315 working on the surface).[1] The colliery closed in 1932.
from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Hebburn Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Highline Social Club, Hebburn Colliery

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Industrial site, Wagonway Road, Hebburn

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES