Hawkwell is a hamlet on the south side of the River Pont, over the river from the village of Stamfordham in Northumberland, and located about 11 miles north-west of Newcastle (city centre). Hawkwell House here dates from the 17th century. Historically, Hackwell and the surrounding area were a township in the ancient parish of Stamfordham, and Hawkwell was a separate civil parish from 1866 to 1955. Today, Hawkwell forms part of Stamfordham Civil Parish.
HAWKWELL, a township, in the parish of Stamfordham, union of Castle ward, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 12 miles (N.W. by W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 176 inhabitants. This township comprises 567a. 3r. of land; it is separated from Stamfordham by the river Pont, and not very far on the south runs the Roman wall. A limestone-quarry is worked for agricultural purposes. The tithes have been commuted for £41 payable to the vicar, and £78 to the Bishop of Durham.