Hawick, near Kirkwhelpington
Hawick is located near Sweethope Loughs, about 2 miles north-west of the village of Great Bavington and 2 miles south-west of Kirkwhelpington in Northumberland. Today this is essentially Hawick Farm, but in the past there was a larger settlement here. A medieval settlement of Hawick is documented from the 13th century when it was held by the lords of Bolam, including a chapel (on Chapel Hill) and a bastle. Historically, Hawick was a township in the ancient Parish of Kirkharle. Today it is within Bavington Civil Parish.
HAWICK, a township, in the parish of KirkHarle, union of Bellingham, N.E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 9½ miles (E.) from Bellingham; containing 8 inhabitants. This place was a manor in the barony of Bolbeck, and holden of it by the barons of Bolam; part was afterwards the property of the family of Raymes, and at a later date possessions have been held here by the Strothers, Fenwicks, and Blacketts. The township comprises 1,198 acres, whereof about 670 are uninclosed moor; the soil of the inclosed portion, which rests chiefly on limestone and basalt, is dry and well adapted for pasture. There was formerly a chapel, on an eminence still called Chapel Hill: about fifty years ago, the floors and foundations of the edifice were dug up, together with the stoup used for holy water, and a number of human bones. Several earthworks remain in the district, one of which consists of three compartments, each inclosed by regular lines
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
HAWICK, a township in Kirkharle parish, Northumberland; near the river Wansbeck, 7½ miles E of Bellingham. Acres, 1, 150. Pop., 6. House, 1.