First Heugh Lighthouse (1846-1915)
The first Heugh Lighthouse on the Headland at Hartlepool was built in 1846. It was probably the first successful gas-lit lighthouse in the world. In 1915, during the First World War, the lighthouse was taken down because it stood in the way of the guns at Heugh Battery. A temporary light on Town Moor was used until 1927 when the second Heugh Lighthouse was built.