Topics > Northumberland > Halton

Halton


HALTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Corbridge, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (N.E. by E.) from Hexham; containing 46 inhabitants. The chapel was rebuilt in 1706, principally by the subscriptions of John Douglas, Esq., and the freeholders of Whittingham. Near it is Halton Tower, an ancient edifice with four turrets, on the north side of which the remains of a much larger building may be traced.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Northumberland Corbridge Parish, 1848 Halton Castle Halton Church

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES