GREENCROFT, a township, in the parish and union of Lanchester, W. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 9 miles (N.W. by W.) from Durham; containing 392 inhabitants. Property has been held here by the families of Kellaw, Rugheved, Claxton, Forster, Hall, and Clavering. The Hall, a spacious and handsome mansion, built by the Claverings after 1670, stands on the southern slope of a hill, surrounded by luxuriant plantations of lofty forest-trees, and commanding a prospect over the village and vale of Lanchester. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £130.