Topics > Cumbria > St John's in the Vale > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Lakes Civil Parish > Great and Little Langdale, 1848
Great and Little Langdale, 1848
LANGDALE, GREAT and LITTLE, a chapelry, in the parish of Grasmere, union and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 5 miles (W.) from Ambleside; containing 442 inhabitants. This is one of the most romantic parts of the Lake district. Fine blue slate, much of which is sent to London, is obtained in the mountains on each side of the river Brathy; the loftiest of the mountain pikes, called Harrison Stickle, rises 2,400 feet above the level of the sea. Within the chapelry is Elter-water, near which is a gunpowder-mill; and there are several smaller lakes, and the two beautiful waterfalls of Colwith Force and Skelwith Force. On a hill called Wreynose are three shire stones, marking the point at which the counties of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancaster meet. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £100; patron, the Rector of Grasmere. The chapel is situated at Great Langdale, and another once stood at a place now called ChapelMire, in Little Langdale. The tithes have been commuted for £46. 10. Henry Bickersteth, Esq., was raised to the peerage, January 23rd, 1836, as Baron Langdale: his lordship is Master of the Rolls.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.